Children's Zoo at Celebration Square
- 8-10 years
- Weight Male: 7 lbs
- Weight Female: 5 lbs
- Domestic chickens are bred in many places
- All domestic chickens are descendents of the Red Jungle Fowl
- A hearty breed that can survive as both free range and confined, in hot and humid climates
- Wild: Omnivore, eating seeds and insects
- Zoo: Mazuri brand Gamebird chow and greens
- Chickens lay eggs like all birds.
- Known for their egg laying abilities, a Dominique Chicken can lay 203 to 275 eggs a year
- Chickens reach sexual maturity around 18 months.
- Clutch size can vary depending on breed, age, health, and nutrition.
- Newly hatched chicks are moist and covered in downy feathers.
- Chicks will flock near their mother for protection until reaching adult size.
- Chickens have a comb and waddle, red skin flaps on the top of their head and under their beak, which help dissipate heat
- Roosters will have a larger comb and waddle which are a form of ornamentation. Roosters with larger combs and waddles tend to appear more attractive to hens
- Some bantam chicken breeds are considered a "fancy chicken" and will have ornamental feathers surrounding their feet
- Domestic chickens are too large to fly, but can glide and perch on tall objects
- Chickens love the occasional worm or bug and will scratch at the ground in hopes of uncovering a tasty treat
- It is believed that the breed name may have come from its origins in St. Domingue, now Haiti, where the breed may have obtained some of its origins
- IUCN: Not Evaluated
- CITES: Not Listed
- The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC) has this breed listed on conservation WATCH.
- As a domestic species, the chicken is not listed under protective status
- Henderson, John R. Henderson’s Handy Dandy Chicken Chart. Accessed November 29, 2009 http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
- Gallus gallus (Linnaeus, 1758). Encyclopedia of Life. Accessed November 29, 2009 http://www.eol.org/pages/1049263
- CITES Appendices. Accessed December 2012. www.cites.org
- IUCN Red List of Endangered Species. Accessed December 2012. www.iucnredlist.org
- Slow Food USA. Accessed August 18, 2012. www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/ark_product_detail/dominique_chicken/